Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Details...Details...Details

Does seeing to the details really matter? In my opinion this is what separates those that are exceptionally good at something and those who are great. It has been my experience that "detail management" usually comes down to doing the small things with precision and making sure that everything right up to the slightest detail is in line with your highest expectation. A former mentor of mine used to pound this philosophy into my head by always reminding me "it's all about the details" whenever he uncovered a good coaching opportunity for my professional development.

This subject also makes me remember an interview that I saw on television when I was much younger where Jimmy Connors explained the difference between being a world class tennis player verses being a really good player as being able to make contact with the tennis ball two inches farther out in front of your body. More important was how he was able to master this, which was to work at it longer and harder than the other players (details). Yes, seeing to the details is much harder and takes a lot more effort, but the payoff can be substantial. The concept of detail management can be applied to our businesses in terms of everything that we do as professionals and will have a lasting impact on our final revenue, income, share price, etc. It will also have a great impact on those that we have the ability to work with on their professional development. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I have been on the receiving end of this coaching and know that I am a better professional today due to being taught and being a practitioner of detail management. Do you have any examples of this that show up in your work environment?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who is very detailed oriented, this article was very appealing to me. I have always been the person in school, which has been many, many years ago, and now in my career that has been very detail task inclined. My personality and conversational skills are not reflected in the detail orientation that I am prone to be. Being a detailed manager has allowed me to succeed whereas I might have failed. Knowing and understanding the minute aspects of financials, expenses, revenue, net income, etc. has allowed me to stay focused on the tasks at hand and understand and appreciate what the bottom line actually means. I have achieved great success with my margin of revenue over the past several years, due in great part to my attention to detail. A senior manager once said that as a former business owner he appreciates someone who runs his business as his own and is concerned with the details and the bottom line. This reference was made about me in running my office as my own business, knowing every detail and expense of my office. I attribute the detail management style to the success I have achieved in becoming a good manager, and with continual attention to detail, one day a great manager.

Joseph Rinaldi
San Antonio Employment Guide
General Sales Manager